Sunday, October 7, 2012

Storytelling through oil paints





   During the summer I decided to start to learn how to oil paint. I've only worked with watercolor and ink so I wanted to try something new. For my final project in my oil painting class I created "The Sunken Cathedral" (painting on the left). 
   My painting is based off of the song "The Sunken Cathedral" by Claude Debussy. It's a beautiful piece of music and I couldn't help but paint my imagination. According to legend (and wikipedia) Debussy's piece "...is based on an ancient Breton myth in which a cathedral, submerged underwater off the coast of the Island of Ys, rises up from the sea on clear mornings when the water is transparent. Sounds can be heard of priests chanting, bells chiming, and the organ playing, from across the sea. Accordingly, Debussy uses certain harmonies to allude to the plot of the legend, in the style of musical impressionism." Legend also has it that the cathedral would rise from the ocean once a year for exactly one hour and then sink back down into the ocean.
   As I painted it I listened to Andrew play the piece on the piano. I would picture the image of a cathedral rising up out of the foamy water as boats from a distance watched the amazing scene. Abstract, but a fun experiment with color and texture.
   Want to hear it for yourself? Here's a link:) 

2 comments:

  1. That is such a Beautiful painting Tessa! You are such an amazing artist, I can't wait to see more of your work!!

    ReplyDelete