Sunday, November 25, 2012

Birdland

In my Illustration class we were required to create a poster based on a song. I chose the song "Birdland" which is named after a jazz club in New York called "Birdland" which was also named after Charlie Parker "the bird" who was a saxophone player.

(picture of Birdland in New York with  a random guy)

I chose this song because Andrew and I went to Birdland while we were in New York and I thought it would be fun to create a piece inspired by jazz music. I was influenced by Jim Flora's art work. He created many jazz album covers in the 1950's so I thought it would be fun to mimic his style. I used acrylic paint and I wanted the colors to be bright and up-beat, just like the song. The color scheme is funky but I think it works.


Want to listen to the song? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

No comments:

Post a Comment