Monday, February 5, 2018

Happiness Stop-Motion

I've been looking forward to writing this post since March of last year. Work got a little busy, but I found a little break in my schedule so I could finally share a unique and fun collaboration I got to work on.

If you follow me on Instagram you know that I create stop-motion animations out of paper from time to time. They are a blast to create, but lots of time and love goes into each of those clips. 

I learned this unique skill from my friend, Holly Richins. She taught me how to create stop-motion animations and I'm so grateful she did!

Last year in March, Holly asked if I could help her with a special project. Her sweet Aunt Debbie was (and still is, unfortunately) battling cancer. Debbie wanted to make something special dedicated to her children and grandchildren that illustrated her perspective on the key to happiness, and what she had been learning throughout her life and especially during her incredibly difficult trial.

So Holly and I took Debbie's own tale of the parable of the currant bush (by Hugh B Brown) and made it come to life through stop-motion.



Here's a small behind the scenes preview:

*   *   *   *   *

Designing the set was so delightful.  I wanted to make the images bright, beautiful, and a little whimsical.  I left a white border around the images which made them feel more like set pieces for a stage, and it made it easier to cut out which was a plus. 


Everything was painted using watercolor or gouache and I used colored pencils to give added texture.

I gave the gardener hinges so he could bend, move, and prune.


Stop motion set.

Creative Mess.

The set up where we placed the phone to keep it steady so we could take the photos.

Once the set was assembled it was time to film. This process is much easier and faster if you have two people helping: one person to move the objects (which takes a steady hand) and one person to take the photos (which also takes a steady hand).

* * * * * * 

The message of the video is inspiring to anyone going through a tough time in his or her life. We don't always see the big picture, especially when life is hard, but God does.

When we realize that there is meaning and purpose behind ALL of the difficult things that happen in our life, then it helps the tough moments seem a little bit easier to bear. We are able to grow from the trial and become a stronger us.

I don't know Debbie personally, but I am so happy that I got to illustrate her beautiful story. She is a strong woman filled with faith and light. Creating this project reminded me that art has the power to bring two strangers together and make them feel like old friends. 

***I hope you enjoy!***




Happiness from Holly Richins Productions on Vimeo.




No comments:

Post a Comment